Monday, May 7, 2012

Discipline

Put it back
Put it down
You don't need that
We've got some at home

Words and phrases
despised by the child
for whom temptation just runs wild.

A thought occurs to this young one
When mom and dad has stifled the fun:
"Just wait til I am on my own.
I cannot wait til I am grown."

Growing up those words repeat
The child struggles with defeat
The same thought pops up again and again
With that thought the child just grins:

"Just wait til I am on my own.
I cannot wait til I am grown."

Now I'm grown and on my own
Wants and needs fill up my home
I've had my moments of excess
And gave back plastic upon request

I've had my fill
taken more than my share
shopped and lived
without care

Learned my lessons over time
Everything cannot be mine
I don't make much but
more than most
Now discipline's my constant host


Put it back
Put it down
You don't need that
You've got some at home
Words I use upon myself
I understand them now that I'm grown.



No comments:

Post a Comment