Monday, July 13, 2015

Once upon a time I was a girl


The sky was blue the fields were green and I was eating ice cream.
The scent of roses filled the air and I was soaring with it
I saw a woman standing on a corner all alone
So I walked over to talk to her and maybe help her home
She looked at me and smiled; a memory in her eyes she said,

“Darling child, I am home. At least as close as I will get.”
I didn’t understand her but she didn’t seem to mind
She asked me to stay with her and help to ease her mind.

“Once upon a time I was a girl.” She said
“A long, long time ago. But now I’m just an old woman.
A woman who wants to know: From where does the rainbow shine?
Where do falling stars go? But most of all where does all the time go?
Where does it go?” I didn’t understand her questions At least I didn’t then.
But now, as I sit here alone in the park and watch the children play, somewhere in the recesses of my mind I hear the answers to her questions; At least I think I do.

Colors seem to come out of your mind. Rainbows are just thoughts all in line. Falling stars, I’ve seen them on the shore then just grains of sand and nothing more. I still wonder where all the time goes. I don’t think I’ll ever know. But once upon a time I was a girl.
 Yes, once upon a time I was a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment