Thursday, December 20, 2012

Generous Gifts

I thought your gift giving was through
I distinctly remember telling you
Feathered friends would not do

I did not know that up your sleeve
You continued to deceive.


Day six I soon awake

to find my place in a terrible state
Six geese a laying here and there
Eggs and feathers everywhere

Day Seven arrived to me at dawn
A group of several swimming swans
Now 13 fowls I find have I
Such a terrible sight to spy

I figured if I closed the door
This wouldn't happen anymore
To give me gifts that I abhor
I'm not the one that you adore.

It's happened time and time again
Eight maids a milking as many cows,
There's the Nine ladies dancing now.
And if you were wondering where's the men
Lords a Leaping I've got ten.

And as if that wasn't bad enough
you continued to give me stuff
Eleven pipers piping up a storm
And Twelve drummers drumming is not the norm


In short my true love gave to me:
Twelve Drummers drumming which was just quite mean.
Eleven Pipers piping that was not a dream.
Ten Lords a leaping who liked to eat,
Nine Prima donnas on their feet,
Eight Maids a milking up at dawn,
A group of several swimming swans,
Six geese a laying here and there,
The quite unexpected Five Gold Rings,
Four Calling birds which left me without words,
Birds again with Three French hens,
Two Turtle Doves instead of gloves,
And the gift of which I had never heard
A partridge in a pear tree, ever so absurd.


These last 12 days have been quite crazed
In several certainly, sarcastic ways
Good luck to you
For I am warning you
I will have to give gifts 
As generously as you do

No comments:

Post a Comment